Here's my home away from home www.bayleafcottages.com! Emily and I have been living in one of our motel rooms. I've been there for 2 months and have been enjoying our mid-coast Maine adventure. This room has a full-sized bed, a twin bed, and a sleeper sofa. And, there's a TV and microwave plus a coffee pot.
Did I mention that Ginger, our family pet, has been staying with us too? She loves sitting by the window and watching the ducks in the pond. Lucky for the ducks she's not outside chasing them. We've been naming the ducks (all females so far) and we're up to 11 ducks. So far we have Lucy and Ethel, Betty and Wilma, Hot Lips Hullihan - well you get the idea. The male ducks are at another nearby pond and the ducklings are down the road. We've decided that since this is Maine, these must be Shaker Ducks since they have self-segregated by gender.
It's raining today and people often feel like they should not travel when it's raining or avoid Maine if the weather forecast is for rain. Here are a few recommendations for things to do when it rains:
1. Owl's Head Transportation Museum
2. Farnsworth Museum in Rockland
3. Antiquing in Searsport
4. There's nothing like a trip to Reny's - it's the quintessential Maine 5 & 10.
5. Roadtrip to LL Bean (open 24/7)
6. Bowling - try Candlepin bowling - a New England tradition! Local lanes: Oakland Park in Rockport.
7. Take in a movie at Flagship in Thomaston, Strand in Rockland, or Colonial in Belfast.
8. Learn how to make a Windsor Chair in Lincolnville.
9. Wine taste with Cellar Door Winery in Lincolnville (tasting shop on Rt. 1 in Camden)
10. Tour Camden's many art galleries.
11. Visit local artisans at their studios and homes.
12. Used books abound with booksellers from Camden to Searsport.
13. Theater - Camden Civic Theater, Northport Music Theater, and Belfast Maskers are sure to please.
14. Concerts abound in the region - check out the Bay Chamber Concert series or local bands at restaurants and clubs.
15. Purchase a day-pass to the YMCA and get fit!
16. Visit the Project Puffin Welcome Center in Rockland and see their movie about puffin preservation.
17. Visit the Hollywood Casino in Bangor
18. Visit the Children's Discovery Museum in Bangor
19. Make a trip to the Bangor Mall.
20. Explore the Penobscot Marine Museum.
21. The Maine State Museum should grab you in Augusta.
22. The Schoolhouse Museum in Lincolnville is a great attraction.
23. Belted Galloway cows will greet you at Aldemere Farms as you drive Chestnut Street out from Camden.
24. Stop by and taste Maine cheese at the State of Maine Cheese Company on Rt. 1 in Rockport.
25. Visit the Ross Center at Merry Spring Gardens.
26. Learn about woven traditions at the Swan Island Blanket Company.
27. Tour Fort Know in Bucksport and go atop th Narrows Bridge Observation Tower.
28. Stop by the Sweetgrass Winery and Distillery for some local made spirits.
29. Stop by Young's Lobster pound to witness hundreds of lobsters in large tanks.
30. Ride on the Islesboro Ferry back and forth!
31. Explore the shops of Camden and Belfast
32. Take a hands-on arts/crafts class at Bay Leaf Cottages & Bistro
33. Take a How To Class at Home Depot in Rockport.
34. Take a How To Class at Lowes in Thomaston.
35. Work with an artisan in their studio - create!
Have fun no matter what the weather! Eat Lobster! Visit us!